GURPS: Red Sky
ST 10 ; DX 11 ; IQ 13 ; HT 13 .
Damage 1d-2/1d; BL 20 lb; HP 13 ; Will 13 ; Per 13 ; FP 14* .
Basic Speed 6.00 ; Basic Move 6 ; Dodge 9.
5’ 9"; 145.
TL: 8 .
Languages: English (Native) ; Latin (Native) ; Spanish (Native) .
Templates and Meta-Traits
Accidental Hero (Monster Hunters; p. MH1:6) ; Lethwei (Martial Arts; p. MA186) ; Quarterstaff (Martial Arts; p. MA192) .
Appearance (Attractive) ; Extended Lifespan (x4) ; Extra Fatigue Points 1 (Affects FP, +0%) ; Illuminated ; Longevity ; Magery 0 ; Magery 4 ; Occultist 1 ; Patrons (The White Council; 6 or less, *1/2; Minimal Intervention, -50%) ; Ritual Adept ; Sorcery Talent 2 ; Soul Gaze ; Spell: KUACHA (Neutralize Magic (Own spells only)) ; Spell: MOTO 4 (Burning Attack; Blockable (can be blocked with shield), -5%; Increased Range (x2), +10%; Increased Range (1/2D Range only) (x2), +5%; Jet, +0%; Sorcery, -15%; Sorcery Power Reduction, -80%; Variable, +5%) ; Spell: NGAO 1 (DR 15 for 1 minute, front only, Visible; Advantage (Shield 1) (+30), +300%; Fixed Duration (1 minute), +0%; Sorcery, -15%; Visible (+1), -10%) ; Spell: UPEPO 3 (Crushing Attack; Blockable (can be blocked with shield), -5%; Cosmic (Knockback based damage on diffuse targets), +50%; No Blunt Trauma, -20%; No Wounding, -50%; Double Knockback, +20%; Increased Range (1/2D Range only) (x2), +5%; Increased Range (Max Range only) (x2), +5%; Jet, +0%; Sorcery, -15%; Sorcery Reduction, -80%) ; Spell: YATANGAZA (See Invisible (Magical); Sorcery, -15%; Sorcery Power Reduction (to get to -80% of total), -114%; True Sight, +50%) ; Unusual Background (Wizard Student) .
Perks: Brave; Grip Mastery (Staff). 
Code of Honor (White Council Wizard) [-15]; Curious (12 or less, *1) [-5]; Delusion (False Memories; Major) [-10]; Duty (To the White Council; 9 or less (fairly often); Involuntary, -5) [-10]; Intolerance (Red Court Vampires; One group) [-5]; Overconfidence (12 or less, *1) [-5]; Pacifism (Reluctant Killer) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Wizard Solomon, your mentor; Individual) [-2]; Technology Hates You [-15]; Weirdness Magnet [-15].
Quirks: Glimpses of Clarity (When facing demons) (PU6: 19); Hates following outdated decorum; Hums to herself when nervous; Obsessed with this southern cuisine called BBQ; Practices Cello everyday; Sooner football season ticket holder. [-6]
Acting (A) IQ-1 -12; Alchemy/TL8 (VH) IQ-2 -11; Area Knowledge (OKC) (E) IQ -13; Climbing (A) DX-1 -10; Connoisseur (Moytorcycle) (A) IQ-1 -12; Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 -12; Driving/TL8 (Motorcycle) (A) DX-1 -10; Fast-Talk (A) IQ-1 -12; Guns/TL8 (Pistol) (E) DX+1 -12; Hidden Lore (Demon Lore) (A) IQ+1 -14†; Hidden Lore (Faerie Lore) (A) IQ -13†; Hidden Lore (Sacred Places) (A) IQ -13†; Hidden Lore (Vampires) (A) IQ -13†; Hiking (A) HT-5 -8; Innate Attack (Beam) (E) DX+3 -14‡; Judo (H) DX-1 -10; Karate (H) DX-1 -10; Mechanic/TL8 (Motorcycle) (A) IQ-1 -12; Meditation (H) Will-2 -11; Musical Instrument (Cello) (H) IQ-1 -12; Occultism (A) IQ -13†; Path of Body (VH) IQ-1 -12; Path of Chance (VH) IQ-1 -12; Path of Crossroads (VH) IQ -13; Path of Energy (VH) IQ -13; Path of Magic (VH) IQ -13; Path of Matter (VH) IQ -13; Path of Mind (VH) IQ-1 -12; Path of Spirit (VH) IQ-1 -12; Path of Undead (VH) IQ-1 -12; Psychology (Human) (H) IQ-1 -12; Research/TL8 (A) IQ -13†; Running (A) HT-1 -12; Staff (A) DX+1 -12; Stealth (A) DX-1 -10; Symbol Drawing (Ritual Magic) (H) IQ -13; Teaching (A) IQ-1 -12; Thaumatology (VH) IQ+5 -18§; Writing (A) IQ-1 -12.
Techniques: Arm Lock (Staff) (A) -12; Armed Grapple (Staff) (H) -10; Back Strike (Staff) (H) -10; Choke Hold (Staff) (H) -9; Disarming (Staff) (H) -12; Elbow Strike (Karate) (A) -9; Feint (Staff) (H) -12; Head Butt (Karate) (H) -9; Jam (Karate) (H) -7; Kicking (Karate) (H) -8; Knee Strike (Karate) (A) -10; Leg Grapple (DX) (H) -11; Push Kick (Karate) (H) -8; Roll with Blow (Judo) (H) -8; Spinning Kick (Karate) (H) -7; Spinning Punch (Karate) (H) -8; Sweep (Judo) (H) -7; Sweep (Staff) (H) -9; Targeted Attack (Karate Kick/Leg) (H) -6; Uppercut (Karate) (A) -9.
* Includes +1 from ‘Extra Fatigue Points’.
† Includes +1 from ‘Occultist’.
‡ Includes +2 from ‘Sorcery Talent’.
§ Includes +1 from ‘Occultist’, +4 from ‘Magery’.
1× Powerstone (Energy 25; $12000); 1× Quarterstaff (Balanced; Fine; $12050; 4 lb).
[None]: Basic 20 lb. Ground Move 6 yd; Water Move 1 yd; Jump 6 yd. Dodge 9.
Light: Basic 40 lb. Ground Move 4 yd; Water Move 1 yd; Jump 4 yd. Dodge 8.
Medium: Basic 60 lb. Ground Move 3 yd; Water Move 1 yd; Jump 3 yd. Dodge 7.
Heavy: Basic 120 lb. Ground Move 2 yd; Water Move 1 yd; Jump 2 yd. Dodge 6.
X-Heavy: Basic 200 lb. Ground Move 1 yd; Water Move 1 yd; Jump 1 yd. Dodge 5.
Parry: 8 (DX). Block: 6 (DX). Dodge: 9. DR: 0 (Torso).
Bite (11): 1d-3 cr. Reach C.
Elbow Strike Karate (9): 1d-3 cr. Reach C.
Head Butt Karate (9): 1d-3 cr. Reach C.
Karate • Punch (10): 1d-3 cr. Reach C.
Karate • Kick (8): 1d-2 cr. Reach C,1.
Kick (9): 1d-2 cr. Reach C,1.
Knee Strike Karate (10): 1d-2 cr. Reach C.
Punch (11): 1d-3 cr. Reach C.
Push Kick Karate (8): 1d-2 x2 nw dkb. Reach C,1.
Quarterstaff • Staff swing (13): 1d+2 cr. Reach 1,2.
Quarterstaff • Staff thrust (13): 1d cr. Reach 1,2.
Quarterstaff • Sword swing (7): 1d+2 cr. Reach 1,2.
Quarterstaff • Sword thrust (7): 1d-1 cr. Reach 2.
Uppercut Karate (9): 1d-2 cr. Reach C.
Spell: MOTO Burning Attack (14): 4d bu. Range 20 yd / 20 yd. RoF Jet.
Spell: NGAO DR 15 for 1 minute, front only, Visible (13): HT±0 aff. Acc 3. Range 10 yd / 100 yd. RoF 1.
Spell: UPEPO Crushing Attack (14): 3d cr nbt nw dbk. Range 10 yd / 20 yd. RoF Jet.
Has paid full price for Ngao spell so she can utilize TWO spells simultaneously (see sidebar, Thaumatology: Sorcery, p8). This way, she can throw up her shield and then begin blasting away with fire or air. These are essentially quick & dirty "evocations" - don’t forget her ritual path magic.
KUACHA - cancels ongoing spell effects she has running.
MOTO - is her ‘fuego’ flame jet
NGAO - is her Shield
UPEPO - is an air blast but could be described as simple kinetic damage
YATANGAZA - this is effectively her Wizard’s Sight.
Each above spell costs 1 FP to activate and 2 secs to cast. Unless you cast it immediately before (in which case it only taks 1 sec to cast.)
- Born and grew up on the outskirts of Puerto Natales, Chile, in 1985.
- Mother was deemed a pleasant free spirit who taught her things like painting and music. Father was a no-nonsense type who was distant but worked hard to put food on the table. Also had a younger brother with whom she was close.
- Surrounding area was known for its obsession with occult and black magic (think New Orleans Voodoo culture). There were stories of witches, curses, and things that go bump in the night. It also didn’t help that there were many people in her city that went missing, though violent crime was low. This prompted a surge of people who claimed they were devout Catholics.
- Sofía was labeled as being very intelligent. She learned English from the tourists, and did very well in her schooling. A music instructor encouraged her to learn the Cello, which she found that she enjoyed.
- Her powers started to manifest around the age of 13. Terrified that she may be cursed, she confided in her mother. Her mother strictly instructed her to tell no one and to never use her powers for any reason. Sofía was surprised to see her mother’s fear and severity for the first time in her life.
- For many years, a head hunting firm would host open applications for manual labor for clients who needed help in construction or engineering. After being out of work for a time, Sofia’s father decided to apply. Sofia could still remember how beautiful the representatives were, as if they were part of the same family. Though she remembers that their eyes were cold, and almost feral. The job was to last three years in Brazil, but the pay was extraordinary. Sofia’s father took the job, and for a time he would send letters, however, eventually communication stopped, but the pay kept coming. After the three years was up, her father never came home. A formal investigation was launched but it was chalked up to a wayward husband who found a new life in Brazil.
- After an increase in manual laborer disappearances, the city was high on tension. The head hunting firm was singled out as being accused of slave trading.
- Mob mentality ruled and people formed up to get answers one way or another. This prompted the Red Court Vampires to lose their guise and just start slaughtering/capturing people. This lasted for 8 hours before Wardens intervened.
- Sofía remembers being separated from her mother and brother and was terrified as one of those disgusting ‘bat creatures’ cornered her. Eventually the fear and panic caused her to release a ball of unharnessed raw energy that disabled the vampire but seriously injured a Warden of the White Council in the process.
- Sofía was detained and taken to the US to undergo a hearing before the White Council. Unknowing of the magical world or what she was, she pleaded clemency. Still, it didn’t look good for her. Before the verdict was given and sentencing was passed, Thaddeus Solomon intervened on her behalf, and took her on as an apprentice.
- Solomon immediately took her to Oklahoma, where she served as a TA and grad student for his Occult studies course at the University of Oklahoma. He also put her on an intense training regime on how to control and use her powers.
- Official statement from The Red Court was that a rogue sect of Red Court vampires was using the city of Puerto Natales to supply them with human chattel. They claim the matter had been dealt with internally. The Head Council, not wanting to create more conflict, took them at their word. This proved to be an unpopular decision for some.
- When Sofía asks about her family, Solomon says that they found her brother. When she questions more on where he is, Solomon simply replies that he is safe. Her mother and father are M.I.A- presumed dead.
One day Solomon dropped a small white ball of fluff onto her desk with a remark about how she had nothing she cared about here in the states. He told the little dog was now her charge and to take care of it. At first she didn’t know what to make of this small puppy, but she took it home, scraped up enough money to get the necessary supplies, and decided to name him Sprite due to his tiny frame and slender build. Little did she know that the name was apt. Sprite might as well been Fey touched. He developed this uncanny ability to move from place to place in a split second without making a sound. He was also exceedingly intelligent for his species. When Sofía questioned Solomon about his origins, he would always answer by giving no answer at all.
Unfortunately, during a training session, Sofía deflected one of Solomon’s spells poorly and ended up striking little Sprite. As a result, he was left mostly hairless. When Sofia asked Solomon to restore her pet, he refused. He told her that this was to serve as a reminder that personal failures often end up affecting those we love. It was something Sofia took very much to heart.